SHEBOYGAN — A fire caused damage to an apartment Thursday afternoon on the city’s south side.
The Sheboygan Fire Department responded to a report of curtains on fire in the upper apartment at 1627A Alabama Avenue shortly after 2 PM.
When firefighters arrived on scene, they found the contents of an upper bedroom burning and encountered moderate smoke in the residence. The occupants of the apartment had already evacuated themselves prior to the fire department’s arrival on scene.
The contents were quickly extinguished and the smoke ventilated from the structure. The fire had penetrated the structure near a window frame and the walls and frames needed to be removed to insure the fire was completely out. Firefighters remained on scene for approximately two hours and the residents were able to remain in their respective apartments.
Damage to building and contents is being estimated at $40,000. The cause of this fire is being attributed to a child playing with a lighter and igniting bedroom linens. Smoke detectors in this structure were not working at the time of the fire.
City records show the property is owned by Roxanne Charles and William Charles of New Franken, Wisconsin.
“The Sheboygan Fire Department would like to remind residents of the importance of keeping lighters, matches and smoking materials out of the reach of small children,” said Shift Commander Keith Risse. “Working smoke detectors will give you early warning of a fire in your residence.”
Have working smoke detectors placed outside of all sleeping areas to protect you and your families and allow you ample time to evacuate. Test them regularly to insure they are functioning properly.